My Journey

This post is just going to be a basic over view of the timescales and process I went through from application to start date.

Personally, this was a very long and emotional journey for me just because overall it took about 7 months!!Β This all depends on how many references you have and the information you need to retrieve.

Applied: 26th July 2015

I did originally apply the year before but unfortunately I was unsuccessful after the assessment day so you have to wait a whole year before applying again but I plucked up the courage to apply again and test my luck and learn from my mistakes.

Invited to assessment day: 28th July 2015

Luck was in my favour and I received an email 2 days later inviting me to come to an assessment day which you had to book on the recruitment website. Be prepared to have to take the day off work if need be, as assessment days are a whole day process.

Assessment Day: 13th August 2015

Two weeks later I am at my assessment day dressed and ready to impress – It is very full on and a lot of different sections to it.

Assessment Response: 17th August 2015

Once again, they were very quick to reply to me and 4 days later I received an email congratulating me on getting through the assessment day and what the next steps would be. You can imagine what a relief it was to receive this email after the year previous. I had to reply back within 24hours stating whether I accepted the offer…I don’t think it even took me 2 minutes to reply!

Initiation email: 20th August 2015

The next email I received was about preparing all the information about my references over the past 5 years, this was in order to start doing a back ground check. They are very strict in this section as you can’t have any gaps in between dates and if you do you have to go through other avenues to show what you were doing in this time – trust me when I say it’s not a fun process but you just have to remember why you are doing it!

Start date email: 31st March 2016

After 7 whole months of going back and forth, back and forth I almost cried when I received the email to say my background checks had been completed and I had a conditional offer to begin on the 19th May 2016 – this is just the beginning though it doesn’t stop yet. Once again I had to reply back within 24 hours to confirm if I accepted this start date.

Booked Medical and Uniform: 5th April 2016

To ensure that you are fit to fly on the aircrafts you have to attend a medical at the head office to get the all clear, this includes urine sample, height and weight measurements, blood pressure etc. If you’re lucky enough to book your uniform fitting on the same day then you can get everything out the way in one go.
Actual Medical and Uniform Fitting was on the 4th May 2016

Cleared to Start: 18th May 2016

After I thought I couldn’t take much more waiting I received ano email to say that I was all clear to start for the next day. Which you would think was a bit late to send the email considering I had already moved down to London to start my training but it was nice to have it confirmed in writing.

Started Training: 19th May 2016

The day I actually started my training for the next 6-7 weeks. It’s all a bit daunting learning so much new information in a short space of time but after I have got this far I am not going to let anything stand in my way now πŸ˜…

This was the basic recruitment structure that happened to me, don’t think that this is what will happen to you as they are always changing the recruitment process all the time.

βœˆπŸ“–

πŸ’•

DISCLAIMER:Β The views and opinions expressed on The Boeing Book blog or associated social media sites are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
Share:

14 Comments

1. Shvonne
    August 18, 2016 / 10:26 am

Hi Shanice!

Hope you’re enjoying life in the clouds.

I finally have my start date of 29/09/16.

I just wondered… is there a dress code for the Medical/Uniform fitting?
    Shvonne

• The Boeing Book
      Author
      August 18, 2016 / 10:49 am

Hi Shvonne,
      Congratulations on getting your start date!
      There wasn’t one when I attended mine so unless they have changed it there shouldn’t be. If there is you would be informed either by email or in your contract, whichever comes first.

βœˆπŸ“–

• Shvonne
        August 18, 2016 / 10:51 am

Thanks, that’s helpful. So if I go smart/casual I wont stick out like a sore thumb? haha

• The Boeing Book
          Author
          August 18, 2016 / 10:55 am

No you won’t lol. The medical is in the head office so majority of people will be in the same attire as that πŸ‘

• Danny Wilkes
      October 5, 2016 / 8:56 pm

hey shvonne, ive noticed youve just started your training. How is it going? please tell me something to calm me down as i start very soon too! im nervous about the exams and how difficult it is! tell me its not impossible! im sooo stressed!
      thanks! πŸ™‚

2. Anna
    August 20, 2016 / 9:19 pm

Hi Shanice! Just wondering if you minded telling me how long you waited between accepting the conditional offer and being contacted by the background check company? I’ve been waiting a while with no end in sight!

• The Boeing Book
      Author
      August 20, 2016 / 9:33 pm

Hi Anna,
      You only have 24 hours to accept your offers so as soon as I received the email on replied really. After that you should hear from the background check company within a few days. Check your junk mail because mine was hiding in there is believe!
      I know how you feel. The process can take a while but remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel 😊

βœˆπŸ“–

3. April 22, 2017 / 2:42 pm

Hey there! Somene in mmy Facfebook greoup shred tthis ite with uus
    so I camje too loook itt over. I’m definitely enjoting the information. I’m book-marking and wijll bbe tweetin ths too my
    followers! Suplerb blg annd terrific style annd design. I ill right
    away clutch yoour rsss feedd aas I can’t too find our
    e-mail subscription hyperlinkk or e-newsletter service.
    Do yoou havge any? Kindly lett mee realoze sso that I
    may ust subscribe. Thanks. I wil riyht away snaqtch youhr rrss as I can’t tto finbd yourr e-mail sujbscription hyperlink orr newsletter service.

Do youu have any? Pleawe let mme rwcognize iin rder thst I maay subscribe.
    Thanks. http://cspan.org

4. April 28, 2017 / 2:59 am

Useful info. Fortunate me I found your web site unintentionally,
    and I’m stunned why this accident did not took place earlier!
    I bookmarked it.

5. May 5, 2017 / 12:04 am

Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and
    sources back to your weblog? My blog is in the exact same area
    of interest as yours and my visitors would truly benefit from a lot of the information you present
    here. Please let me know if this okay with you. Cheers!

6. June 2, 2017 / 3:09 am

Excellent post. I definitely love this website. Stick with it!

7. November 8, 2017 / 12:30 pm

Currently it looks like BlogEngine is the best blogging platform out there right
    now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you are
    using on your blog?

• November 8, 2017 / 5:35 pm

I use wordpress for my blog. I have never used BlogEngine before so unable to comment on how good it is :/