Week 1

So just when I thought the assessment day + recruitment process = stressed, the first week of my SEP (Safety Emergency Procedures) training proved me wrong!

image

The first day was a welcome introduction day to ease you in. Depending on what your learning technique is, do what is best for you to process it all. I’m a note taker so I have a pad full of pages of notes. However, if you are a practical learner, there will be plenty of opportunities for you to show off your acting skills!!

In my first week of initial SEP training, I have learnt how to evacuate an aircraft during a planned/emergency landing whether this is on land or ditching  (in water) while opening the door in a safe and timely manner.
I know how to correctly identify a fire on board and how to control and extinguish it quickly and safely. How to move an incapacitated pilot, what to do during a decompression and name all the safety equipment on board.

I learnt how to digest so much different pieces of information and demonstrate it practical towards the assessors without hesitation and how to identify bombs and suspicious packages and where to safely dispose of one on board where it would do the least damage.

All this just within the first week!

They do try and make it fun for you though. The trainers will crack jokes with you and have a laugh and it makes you feel so comfortable! 😋

image

✈📖
💕

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed on The Boeing Book blog or associated social media sites are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the company.

Share:

16 Comments

1. Victor
    June 29, 2016 / 1:00 am

Hello. First of all I’m in love with your page. well done!
    I was wondering if you could help me with some answers. 1- I’ve had my confirmation email on 11th may. So I’ve been now on the process of checking my background. how long it normally takes to start the course properly? I’ve not even got my start date yet. 2- When you first get paid? During the course the already pay you? how much if it’s that the case. many thanks. I’ll keep following you in here. XX

• The Boeing Book
      June 29, 2016 / 7:18 am

Thank you!! I’m glad you’re enjoying it and funding it useful!
      1. This process doesn’t have a set time scale, with me it took 7 months but other people it took a shorter amount of time, all depends on how many references you have and how easily they are able to contact them etc.
      2. When you first get paid depends on when you start really, I started on the 19th May and once I had given them my bank details I got paid a small amount for the few days that I was training for in may. I am still in training and will have another pay tomorrow for June, it will be the basic pay as I don’t get the elapsed hourly rate until I start flying and then that gets paid a month in arrears.
      Hopefully that helps and thanks again for the support 💕

2. Natalie
    July 11, 2016 / 12:52 pm

Hello, hope you are enjoying the job ATM! Can I ask if you had any maths tests involved at all? Rubbish at maths and I’m scared just Incase it pops up!

Thanks!

• The Boeing Book
      July 11, 2016 / 1:28 pm

Hi Natalie, No there are no maths tests 🙂
      📖✈

3. Debbie Stewart
    July 18, 2016 / 3:29 pm

Hi,
    I love your blog. It’s really nice to be able to read all about the “process” and get a feel about what to expect. I received my start date for the 13 September 2016 and I’m so nervous I don’t know what to do some days lol
    I would really appreciate a little help as I’m really unsure about a couple of things. As I mentioned I received start date and I am waiting for the next email from BA. The first one I received mentioned my start date and AV Medical e-learning course work. Did you do this e-learning course? If you did could you please tell me if you can do these tests more than once (until you get 80% or more?)

Debbie

• The Boeing Book
      July 18, 2016 / 9:11 pm

Hi Debbie,
      Thank you, I am glad you are enjoying it. Congratulations on getting your start date!
      Yes, I did have to do the AvMed coursework and I believe you do get to do it more than once but they are always changing the training course so whether this is still the case I am unsure. Don’t worry you will be fine 😊
      Good Luck!

✈📖

4. Natalie
    July 22, 2016 / 3:11 pm

Shanice, another question
    Just passed sep week 1. In your opinion do you think that was the hardest week? Also did alot of people acrew points on that day 5 with the exams etc? Hope you are still enjoying flying.

• The Boeing Book
      July 23, 2016 / 5:51 am

Hi Natalie,
      Congrats on passing your first week. It’s hard to say which is the hardest week really, every week is just as intense just cause there is so much to learn, if anything I found customer service harder than SEP training but everyone is different really.
      A few points were accrued by some people but points only last during SEP so try not to think about it and just concentrate and what you need to learn 😊 It will all be worth it in the end ✈

✈📖
      💕

5. Amy
    August 10, 2016 / 9:30 pm

Hey I love your blog 😊 Congrats on getting your wings! I have just started my training course and one thing that scares me is the pool drill, what does this involve? I’m not a strong swimmer and worry this will affect me x

• The Boeing Book
      August 10, 2016 / 10:01 pm

Hi Amy,

Thank you, glad you’re enjoying it! Congrats on starting your training, hope all is going well. Check out week 4 on my blog, there should be some information on there 🙂

✈📖

• Amy
        August 11, 2016 / 5:39 pm

I had a look and unfortunately when I click on the link it says link removed so I am unable to read it 🙁 thank you anyway!

• The Boeing Book
          August 11, 2016 / 7:17 pm

Oh does it? I must have taken it down sorry. It’s not as hard as you may think. If you are an unconfident swimmer just let the trainer on the day know and they try and make it a bit easier for you but everything is explained in great detail before you start 🙂

6. RebeccaB
    October 19, 2016 / 3:25 pm

Hey, I was just wondering roughly what the training hours are per day ie 8:30-5:30 or does it vary? Thank you!x

• The Boeing Book
      October 19, 2016 / 3:33 pm

Hi Rebecca,
      Yeah it does vary from day to day. It might have changed now and have set structure but there wasn’t one when I had it 🙂

✈📖

7. Sarah
    September 30, 2017 / 9:39 am

Loving your blog
    My daughter has a provisional start date for the 26th Oct with Sky People. Can you remember what time you had to be there on your first day? I understand it could change but we are trying to organise accommodation and when to move in. Thank you

• September 30, 2017 / 4:30 pm

Thank You, glad you’re enjoying it!
      I didn’t have my training with Sky People so I am unsure of how their training structure works unfortunately. Most likely it will be an early start at like 8 or 9am.
      I would suggest just looking for accomodation as normal for that start date and choose a date to move in that suits you all.

✈📖